(Taken from Andrew Murray'sHelps to Intercession, a 31 day prayer guide)
WHAT TO PRAY - For the Power of the Holy Spirit on Ministers
"I appeal to you...to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf...." Romans 15:30 "...he will deliver us....You also must help us by prayer...." 2 Corinthians 1:10, 11 What a great host of ministers there are in Christ's Church. What need they have of prayer. What a power they might be, if they were all clothed with the power of the Holy Spirit. Pray definitely for this; long for it. Think of your own minister, and ask it very especially for him or her. Connect every thought of the ministry, in your town or neighborhood or the world, with the prayer that all may be filled with the Spirit. Plead for them the promise, "Stay in the city, until you are clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49) "...you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;...." Acts 1:8
HOW TO PRAY - In Secret
"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret;..." Matthew 6:6 "He went up into the hills by himself to pray." Matthew 14:23; John 6:15 Take time and realize, when you are alone with God: Here am I now, face to face with God, to intercede for His servants. Do not think you have no influence, or that your prayer will not be missed. Your prayer and faith will make a difference. Cry in secret to God for His ministers.
WAYS TO PRAY FOR CLERGY
There are an estimated 980,000 clergy - pastors and Christian workers - serving some 324,000 congregations in America. The following outline suggests ways you might pray for your pastor and other Church leaders over the days of a month:
1. That they are brought to a personal saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and/or are ever more firmly rooted and established in Him.
2. That they be granted increased revelation of the Fatherhood of God.
3. That they be kept in the simple understanding that their heavenly Father has covenanted to care for them in all ways.
4. That they be granted a sustaining impartation of faith, hope and love.
5. That they be granted conviction to maintain daily devotions, a substantial prayer time, fasting, and adequate Bible study.
6. That they be strengthened in their heart, renewed in the spirit of their mind and kept in emotional balance each day.
7. That they keep pure hearts and practice fidelity, honesty and integrity toward their spouse, children and in all relationships.
8. That they be drawn to and shown a place of personal pastoral care, accountability and mentoring, and given allies and prayer partners.
9. That they seek to grow in Christian virtue, the fruit of the Spirit, servant leadership and to exhibit mercy and compassion.
10. That they are sensitive to maintain Sabbath rhythms, days of rest, vacation and spiritual renewal periods.
11. That their congregations understand and bless these times, and show them honor.
12. That they are guided in the personal use of time, scheduling and budgeting.
13. That they be granted discernment and wisdom in maintaining and nurturing all relationships in family, church and community.
14. That they not wrongly compare themselves to any other leader.
15. That they will be granted discernment and wisdom for recognizing spiritual gifting and developing a plurality of five-fold leadership reflecting Ephesians 4:10-16.
16. That they be shown how to rightly divide the Word of God and bring the whole counsel of God to their people.
17. That they be shown how to avoid legalism, foster liberty and maintain worship.
18. That they be led of the Lord to develop their church as a true house of Prayer.
19. That the Lord provide intercessors who will undergird them in their life and ministry.
20. That they preach the Gospel , regard the historic Creeds, teach the 10 Commandments, and proclaim Jesus as Lord of all.
21. That they are inspired to evangelize, demonstrate mercy and reach the lost..
22. That they have courage to teach and instruct on controversial biblical issues and to restore the sanctity of life, and morality.
23. That they be shielded from the violent and lawless and from slander.
24. That they be shielded from curses, the occult, New Age and secret societies.
25. That they understand and are granted courage to practice Church discipline.
26. That they be clothed with meekness yet granted strength and patience in all situations.
27. That they not be intimidated and not carnally react when confronted by people practicing manipulation or control.
28. That they be granted grace and courage to seek pastoral counsel as needed.
29. That they not minimize teaching on the devil, death, hell and eternity.
30. That they work for eternal rather than earthly reward and are prepared to give an account to God Almighty.
Pastors Need Prayer, Too (added here 12/05/05)
"Praying for Your Pastor" Excellent and scriptural (added 9/07/05)
Praying Pastor Excellent for both pastors and parishioners. (added 12/05/05)
Intercessors for America - Excellent resources for praying for America!
Plea to Pray for Pastors - Stirring article by Gardiner Spring
Preachers Need the Prayers of the People! - Chapter 18, E. M. Bounds book, Power Through Prayer
Pastors Prayer Partners - For pastors with special prayer needs
Preacher's Wife - Poem to increase awareness of important role of preachers' wives
Prayer Shield - How to Build a Pastor's Prayer Shield
Prayer Shield - A site dedicated to developing prayer for Pastors and Ministry Leaders
PFP Prayer Guide - An Excellent Day by Day Guide for Praying for Your Pastor
Lift Up Ministries - HOME
Lift Up Ministries - UPDATES